Sunday, November 23, 2008

Week 3 of Student Teaching

Oh my goodness what a week! I taught on Wednesday about direction, and how to use the stars, sun, and compass when lost. On Thursday from 8-9 am I took my students into the computer lab, and we did a lesson on comparing and contrasting the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Indians. When we got back to class, the regular teacher was no where to be found. However, I knew the schedule and I got the students started on their next project. My supervisor from UVU was observing me and asked to speak with me in the hall; during this time I asked one of the parents grading papers to locate the teacher. While I was in the hall, the parent told me that she found out that the teacher was in a meeting. I was quite surprised, yet I knew everything was going to be fine. About 5 minutes past, and a different teacher came up to me and told me that my teacher went home sick. She then explained to me, that I would be substituting for the rest of the AM group. At this point I was really surprised, yet I smiled and said, "No problem, I have everything under control." My UVU supervisor seemed speechless, and ask me if I would be okay. I reassured her and she left. I then walked into the classroom, and followed the rest of the lesson plans for that day. When I was getting ready to leave, one of the teachers came up to me and explained that my teacher was going to be sick on Friday and that I would be substituting again. I smiled and said, "Sounds good!" I came in on Friday and following the lesson plans according to the schedule and everything went very smoothly. When the bell rang the students were sad to see me go, they all hugged me goodbye. I had a wonderful experience student teaching, and I will miss seeing my students everyday!

1 comment:

Dr. Hudgins said...

I'm glad it went well for you on both days. It is nice when the teacher trust their student teachers enough to leave their students with them. Way to go Mallory. You'll have to let us know how Friday went for your?
Have a good Thanksgiving.