Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chapter 3/4 Letter to Jaremy

Dear Jeremy,
In my Differentiation Class, Jamie explained the hardships you are dealing with currently, and my heart goes out to you and your students.
"Teaching is fundamentally about building lives. Differentiating instruction focuses on the uniqueness of each child's life as well as its commonalities with all other lives. To build lives in a differentiated classroom means building them both collectively and individually (pg24). In my class we learn about 5 key teacher responses to students needs and they are: Invitation, Opportunity, Investment, Persistence and Reflection. I am going to break them down....

Invitation The teacher's words, demeanor and actions meed to communicate the following:
1- I respect who you are as well as who you can become.
2-I want to know you.
3- You are unique and valuable.
4- I believe in you.
5-I have time for you.
6- I lean when I listen to you.
7- This place is yours too.
8- We need you here.

Opportunity The teacher's words, demeanor and actions meed to communicate the following:
1- I have important thing for you to do here today.
2-The things I ask you to do are worthy things.
3- The things I ask you to do are often daunting.
4- The things I ask you to do open new possibilities for you.
5-The things I give you to do here help you become all you can be.
6- You have specific roles here that make us all more efficient and effective.

Investment The teacher who communicates investment to learners makes it clear:
1- I work hard to make this place work for you.
2-I work to make this place reflect you.
3- I enjoy thinking about what we do here.
4- I love to find new paths to success.
5- It is my job to help you succeed.
6- I am your partner in growth.
7- I will do what it takes to ensure your growth.

Persistence The teacher needs to help students understand that this is a place where persistence is a hallmark. To do that, the teacher must communicate the following:
1- You're growing, but you're not finishing growing.
2- When one route doesn't work, there are others we can find.
3- Let's figure out what works best.
4- There are no excuses here, but there is support.
5- there is no finish line in learning.

Reflection Not only do teachers benefit from reflective practice, but students derive important messages from reflective teachers as well. To the student, a reflective teacher communicates the following:
1- I watch you and listen to you carefully and systematically.
2- I make sure to use what I learn to help you learn better.
3- I try to see things through your eyes.
4- I continually ask, "How is this partnership working?"
5- I continually ask, "How can I make this better?"

Jaremy I hope my thoughts help you in this time of need. I know you are going to make a great teacher, because you are making time to see the invisible. These students need you Jaremy! Don't be the one who gives up on them. Be the one who makes the difference. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sincerly,
Mallory Murphey

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I appreciate your thorough coverage of the ideas of these poignant and relevant chapters. Nice job! 4 points